Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder Review
Feeding cats is part of the fun in keeping them. However, sometimes you just don’t have the time or are not in the mood to do it. No one likes to get woken up in the middle of the night by a cat wanting food. Also, you may just be out of the house for some errands. If, for any reason, you are not always available to feed your cat, you have the option of using an auto cat feeder to deliver food to your cat. This will also enable you to monitor the amount of food your cat is taking since everything is automated.
One of the best automatic cat feeders in the market right now is the Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder.
The Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder stands out in the pet feeder market because of its capacity to store wet food for long periods. And how does it do this? The feeder comes with twin ice packs that will keep your food cold and therefore let it last for longer.
The feeder is programmed to feed your cat at certain times, and uses a quartz timer to precisely time the meals. It can serve a maximum of five meals to your cat, over a period of 90 hours. The bowls used in this feeder are dish washer proof, and as long as you follow the manual correctly, you shouldn’t have any trouble using the dishwasher to clean up.
The feeder is designed in such a way that its base is wide, meaning that it cannot be tipped over easily by a cat. It is also not tall, and this adds to its sturdiness. Basically, your cat will not be able to tip it over to get more food from the feeder’s tank. Your cat will also not be able to figure out how to get food from the compartments since it is not simply designed.
The Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder uses one AA battery to run.
The feeder has 5 feeding containers. However, there are only four time indicators, and these coordinate only four of the containers. The fifth container can only feed your pet immediately. The time indicators trigger the containers to rotate so that food is availed to the cat in the next programmed meal.
- The feeder can deliver wet food to your pet, unlike many other automatic feeders in the market right now.
- It cannot be tipped over by a gluttonous cat in search of extra food.
- It works reliably well to feed your cat. The timer is greatly precise. You could even go for a day or two without seeing your cat, and still be assured that she’s getting her share of food. Basically, this pet feeder will end your worries on whether or not your pet was fed.
- The unit is quite simple to assemble. All you need to do is follow the manual correctly. Also, operating the feeder is easy.
- It comes with two ice packs that refrigerate the stored food. The cat food will therefore not spoil for the time that it will be in the compartments.
- The unit is not airtight. This should not pose a problem when it comes to the freshness of the food since the refrigeration will work for the short while that the food will be stored. However, if you have ants in the house, then you have another problem to deal with.
- You have to reprogram the unit every time you refill the food compartments. While this is a simple routine, it can be an inconvenience to many, especially if you have used units that store your programming.
- Since the unit does not have an actual freezer, the ice blocks will unfreeze with time. Your wet food can therefore easily go bad if you plan on storing it in the compartments for three or four days.
- It is rather large.
While assembling and operating the device is simple, it can easily get you confused, especially since you are likely to ignore some subtle yet important steps. For example, many people forget to turn on the switch after installing the battery, and the unit will eventually fail to feed the cat. The unit has a black switch which must be pushed to start as soon as the battery is installed. Otherwise, your feeder will not work.
You will need to get fresh batteries for this feeder. Used batteries may end up not working at all.
Once you start the device, you should set the current time. Then the first meal has to be scheduled for at least four hours from the current time. The second meal has to be set for at least six hours from the first meal. Once you are done programming your feeder, you should cover the unit with a lid.
Another thing that many users tend to forget is to position the ‘0’ bowl next to the timer every time a feeding cycle starts. When you are done programming the feeder, you should always put it in place using the center knob so that the unit functions normally.
While the feeder is marketed as a unit that can keep wet food fresh for long, it will fail after a few days, depending on the season. The ice blocks will attain room temperature, especially during warmer seasons, and your cat’s food portions will go bad. It is therefore not advisable that you use it to feed your cat on wet food for long periods of time. Alternatively, you can stick to dry cat food.
The Cat Mate C50 Automatic Pet Feeder is one of the best of its kind out there. The unit is of great quality and you will definitely get value for your money. All you need to do is spend some time trying it out before using it to actually feed your cat, and you will finally get how it works. Also, keep the user manual close.